Friday, February 26, 2010

Update!!!

So I haven't been around much lately, I've been really busy with school and volleyball and trying to get enough sleep to do well with both, and I know it's a ton of excuses, but I'm working on a better balance this semester.
Coming off WinterFest, I've had some mixed feelings about what I'd learned and InterVarsity as a whole. My track, Transformation, was basically about evangelism. Honestly, I didn't get a whole lot out of it, and I think I would've benefited more from attending another track, but one thing we did talk about was missed opportunities.
This really hit me hard, as I realized that I've been put in the perfect place to share my faith being in Chicago and involved with the Athletes here, and lately I haven't. I've always regretted in high school that I didn't tell my friends my beliefs unless I was asked, so when I came to college and got into the IV community, I was super excited to be able to talk about my walk with God. A few weeks ago I went to a Cru meeting to check it out, and one of the activities was creating these little prayer cards as a reminder for what we were going to pray for. We were asked to write down the name of 5 non-Christians that we wanted to open up with more, and tell about our faith. The goal was to have them be people around us, so mostly IIT student. I couldn't think of anyone, so I flipped through my contacts on my phone. Upon doing this I realized that I really didn't know anyone on campus that wasn't a Christian, and that made me feel really horrible. I wrote down 5 names after thinking for a while.
For those of you at winterfest, I shared with everyone that I was upset and blaming a lot of my confusion on one particular person, but then I realized that the separation of that friendship has really forced me out of my comfort zone. It turned out 4 of the 5 names I wrote down, were Christians and I was too self-involved to even know that about them. This has made me realize that we all have struggles and we can't pass judgement when we ourselves have problems and struggles to work though.
I think this ties a lot into what Rich was saying (of course, we're twins). But until now, I've never completely realized that while a Christian community is good, talking to just believers is never going to help spread the word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment